27-40 Hoyt Ave South
Astoria NY 11102
Monday through Friday 9am-5pm
The NYS Office of Victim Services (OVS) provides funding to HANAC to assist victims of crimes to submit applications for potential reimbursement of out-of-pocket losses associated with the crime. Victims may be eligible of reimbursement of medical bills, loss or damage of essential personal property, lost wages, transportation to and from court appearance and medical appointments as a result of the crime, use of domestic violence shelters, crime scene clean-up, and moving expenses.
You are eligible to file for Compensation Benefits if:
- If you are innocent victim of crime who has sustained personal physical injury
- You are elderly (60 or over) or disable victim, who has not necessarily sustained physical injury
- You are the surviving spouse, parent, child or dependent of a victim who died as a result of a crime.
- You are the person who paid or incurrent the burial expenses of an innocent victim who died as result of the crime
- You are child victim, or his/ her parent, guardian or sibling.
- Assistance in completing paperwork for the District Attorneys and court day support
- Counseling in person or on phone to provide emotional support
- Referrals of victims to other agencies for identified need such as health, welfare, literacy, immigration, housing and public benefits
- Outreach and education
- Home visits for intake process and OVS application, if necessary
- Crisis intervention
- Advocacy and legal assistance