HANAC Astoria Cornerstone
4-05 Astoria Boulevard
Astoria, NY 11102
Monday through Friday 2pm to 9pm
Extended summer hours
Cornerstone programming was developed by New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) to engage year-round programming for adults and youth who reside in NYC Housing Authority (NYCHA) housing developments.
In 2014, we were awarded a contract to provide services to the residents of NYCHA’s Astoria Houses. Programming is dynamic and is driven by participants’ needs and interests.
Cornerstone staff provide after school programming for 5-24 year old residents of the development and the surrounding community by working closely with the development’s Residents’ Association, the residents, and program participants to create engaging and creative programming. Programming is designed to encourage residents to advocate for themselves, to embrace their sense of self-worth, to gain an appreciation for their skills and talents, and encouraging the dedication of working towards the overall common good of their community.
- Educational activities
- Homework help
- High School Equivalency (HSE) classes
- Computer assistance to encourage research and individual learning
- Dance classes exercise
- Art activities trips to educational sites of interest
- Basketball tournaments
- Jazz concerts
- Participation in community events
You can make a difference! All residents of Astoria Houses are invited to join:
- The Advisory Board is a forum to discuss programming, staff, important events, upcoming activities, planning of future activities and programming, and identifying and addressing issues in the community.
- The Youth Council offers young people residing in the development and the surrounding area a platform to exercise their voice through organizing, civic engagement, and community leadership.